Traumatic Tooth Loss
Losing a tooth due to trauma does not always mean that a tooth is lost forever. If a tooth is lost due to trauma you should:
- Avoid touching the roots of the tooth- handle it by the crown only.
- Avoid rubbing the tooth in an effort to clean it of debris.
- If debris is present, gently swish the tooth around for less than 10 seconds in a bowl of lukewarm water-do NOT rinse the tooth under running water.
- Attempt to place the tooth back in its socket. Bite down gently on a piece of gauze or moistened paper towel if it will not go all the way in.
- If the tooth will not go back into the socket, place it in some milk or a mild saltwater solution.
- See a dentist as soon as possible- the sooner a dentist is consulted, the better the chance of successful reimplantation.